Gym Monitor – Federal Work Study
Position Title: Gym Monitor
Department: Member Services
Number of Vacancies: 4
Gymnasium, Lobby, Wellness Floor
Mahaska County YMCA
1521 Green St
Oskaloosa, IA 52577
Purpose of Position: Engage and interact with youth members who are using the YMCA, serve as a coach and mentor, maintain a safe environment
Description of Duties & Responsibilities:
The Gym Monitor at MAHASKA COUNTY YMCA delivers excellent service and maintains a supportive, positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all youth. The Gym Monitor guides youth through activities and programs after school.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
- Visually inspect the strength and cardiorespiratory areas for equipment in need of repair and report problems to the supervisor.
- Ability to visibly observe participants for correct usage of equipment and appropriate movements during instruction of exercises.
- Must be able to physically demonstrate exercises and lead relevant exercise sessions.
- Teach classes, substitute shifts, and demonstrate exercises as needed in the Wellness Department.
- Ability to be in a crouching position and regularly twist body at the waist, shoulders or legs.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time and work in a kneeling position.
- Ability to inspect equipment, assist in cleaning and maintaining the equipment as needed.
- Ability to concentrate even when distracted by noise and activity.
- Ability to communicate effectively with members, participants and other YMCA employees.
- Ability to respond to questions/concerns from members, solve problems in a prompt manner and make independent judgment and decisions.
- Lift and transport weight up to 45 pounds.
- Ability to observe and promote safety and security procedures.
- Physically and mentally able to respond to emergencies and administer CPR and First Aid effectively.
Work Schedule (Days & Times):
Various Shifts available during the following days and times:
- Monday – Friday: 4 pm – 8 pm
- Saturday: 8 am – 3 pm
- Sunday: 1 pm – 5 pm
Hourly Wage: $10.00
Employment Start Date: 09/05/2023
Employment End Date: 05/03/2024
Job Supervisor & Contact: