Skip to Content

VA (Dept. of Veteran’s Affairs) Education Benefits

Welcome to William Penn University! It only takes a couple of steps to get your VA (Veteran’s Affairs) educational benefit started at William Penn University.

GI Bill® Benefits

VA (Veteran’s Affairs) education benefit eligibility is based on individual service information and is specific to the service-member or veteran.  The final determination of eligibility is determined by the VA.  In some cases, Veterans may be able to transfer benefits to their dependents.  For additional information regarding eligibility for VA education benefits, how Veteran parents can transfer benefits to their dependents, and how to apply for benefits, please visit the VA website, at, or  For general questions, you can contact VA customer service by phone at 888-442-4551, or at | Veteran Affairs.

Application for VA benefits may be done online.  The VA can take up to 30 days to process your application and determine your eligibility.  Once your application is approved by the VA, you will receive a letter from the VA giving your eligibility details.  Please provide a copy of this letter to the School Certifying Official (Penn Hall, room 217, Registrar’s Office).  When you contact the School Certifying Official, there will be additional paperwork for you to complete.

“GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at”

Changing Schools

If you have used GI BILL ® benefits previously at another institution, and are transferring to William Penn University, the VA requires you to complete a Change of Program or Place of Training form (Veterans/Service members complete VA form 22-1995, dependents complete form 22-5495).  You can find these forms and more information online at  Please provide a copy of this form to the WPU Certifying Official.

Military Transfer Credit

In order to have your military credit transferred to William Penn, you will need to request an official transcript and have it sent to:

William Penn University
Office of Admissions
201 Trueblood Ave.
Oskaloosa, IA 52577

If you were in the Army, Navy or Marines request a Joint Services Transcript (JST).

If you were in the Air Force request an official transcript from the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF).

Returning Student

If you were using the benefits last semester at William Penn University, there is no requirement for you to re-apply to the VA for benefits or complete additional paperwork.  However, if you were not in attendance at WPU the previous semester, please contact the certifying official and let them know of your return.

Process to Receive VA Education Benefits

Before you begin receiving VA education benefits, you will need to complete the following steps:

  1. Apply and be accepted for admission in a degree program at William Penn.
  2. Apply for benefits to the Department of Veteran’s Affairs online at or Please inform yourself about the VA Chapter of benefits you have.
  3. Complete the free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to see if you qualify for additional student aid.
  4. Register for classes.
  5. Provide the WPU Certifying Official with a copy of the VA letter of eligibility, copies of any other forms the official requests, and complete any paperwork given to you by the official. The VA Chapter benefits you receive will determine how your certification is completed by the official.  The VA can take 6-8 weeks to process these benefit claims.
  6. Some VA chapters (Ch 30, 1606, 1607) require the student to complete a verification of attendance each month to receive the benefit payment. The last day of the month is the first day you can verify attendance.  Once you verify attendance, the VA can process your payment.  You can verify your attendance online at   or by calling 877-823-2378 and completing an automated attendance verification process.
  7. Notify the Certifying Official of any registration changes. If your enrollment changes, (add, drop or withdraw from a course, withdraw from the university, are administratively removed from a course), the changes can result in a change of benefit amount.
  8. Notify the Certifying Official of any upcoming deployment.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students receiving veteran’s benefits who do not make satisfactory academic progress can have their benefits terminated.  Please contact the financial aid office with any questions.

Deployment & Re-Admission

If called to active duty, the student (or student who is a spouse/dependent of service member), who needs to withdraw due to the call-up, should contact the Certifying Official, and complete the withdrawal paperwork with the Director of the Financial Aid office.

The student will receive 100% refund of the following charges: Tuition, fees, and housing/meals (if applicable).

Financial aid will be refunded as follows:  100% of all state, WPU institutional, and outside financial assistance will be returned to the appropriate sources.  All Title IV (federal) student financial assistance will be processed per the Return of Funds policy.  The student and/or parent (parent if there is a Parent Plus loan) may request, in writing, to have 100% of federal funds returned.  In short, you may choose not to use federal funds for the payment period which you are withdrawing from, since all tuition, fees, and housing/meals (if applicable) are being removed from your University bill.

The student has the option to remain enrolled in some or all of their courses and receive an I (Incomplete) grade for the course(s).  The student must make arrangements with each instructor for the course(s) they wish to continue.  In this case, no adjustment of tuition charges for enrolled courses will occur.  Students have until the 6th week of the next semester to complete the coursework.  Failure to do so will result in the I grade becoming an F grade.

A student who wishes to return to William Penn after deployment should re-apply for admission. The Certifying Official should be informed of the student’s return.

Additional Resources