Clinical Instructor – Nursing
Date: January 12, 2022
Position Title: Nursing Clinical Instructor
- Reports to the Division Chair of Nursing with indirect supervision provided by the Clinical Simulation Lab Coordinator for the implementation of the approved curriculum based on the mission and philosophy of the nursing program and the College.
- This is a hourly contractual position August-July
- Provides students with opportunities to acquire the knowledge and practice the skills identified in course objectives using varied and appropriate teaching methods.
- Plan learning activities to meet program outcomes based on the standards set by policies, legal and other regularity requirements, and acceptable practices.
- Participates in the program evaluation and continuous improvement process and engage in personal professional development.
- Completion of an accredited professional nursing education program.
- BSN with concentration/experience in clinical area of teaching (med-surg, OB, peds, etc)
- Experience of at least two years in the practice of nursing as a registered nurse within the last five years.
- Hold a current Iowa active unencumbered license as a registered nurse.
- Previous teaching experience preferred or currently attending a course offered by an accredited school in teaching.
- Excellent written and oral communication and analytical skills.
- Functional abilities to carry out classroom, clinical and laboratory teaching responsibilities.
- Competence in clinical skills in areas of teaching.
- Competent in personal computer applications; word processing, spreadsheet, database, and email.
- Successful completion of criminal background check and drug screening required current American Heart Association CPR. Provide evidence of yearly tuberculin skin tests, and other required immunizations as per nursing program policy
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provides clinical instruction to students in approved health care settings, adhering to the policies of the clinical setting and the College.
- Participate in College and/or DON committee assignments
- Clinical experiences may be facility assigned or completed in the clinical simulation lab as assigned.
- Clinical instructors will be available to work in the Clinical Simulation Lab as assigned for clinical expectations.
- Discuss with students their concerns and/or problems directly or indirectly related to learning experience.
- Is responsible to assist the student to develop an understanding of values, attitudes, and ideals appropriate to the health care profession.
- Establish and maintain relationships with new and existing clinical sites.
- To participate in faculty meetings, both formally and informally with didactic and clinical faculty members.
- Provide clinical, classroom, and clinical simulation lab instruction.
- Supervise student groups in clinical areas (maintains presence in the facility during entire student clinical time if not precepted).
- Orient students to the clinical area and demonstrate proper procedures.
- Responsible for producing and distributing course learning objectives and student schedules to the clinical facilities prior to student attendance at the facility.
- Lead discussions and elicit information from students which demonstrate that students are learning and accomplishing the clinical objectives.
- Maintain clinical standards and course expectations throughout each course or term.
- Evaluate and grade student performance. Meets with students at midterm for formal evaluation and again at the end of the course as to progress and performance.
- Maintain the professional practice knowledge base needed to instruct learners in contemporary nursing practice.
- Communicate with Clinical Simulation Lab Coordinator or Division Chair as necessary to resolve issues or concerns in clinical areas.
- Work effectively as part of the overall faculty team demonstrating positive interpersonal relations, collaborating with other faculty members to meet student needs, participating in faculty meetings and nursing program committees and responding to requests from management.
- Participate in ongoing program evaluation activities as needed.
- Maintain faculty expectations as required by the College and the Board of Nursing.
- Demonstrate proper respect for students, faculty, and staff and has student-friendly manner in the conduct of class.
- Other as assigned
Reports to: Nursing Division Chair
Start Date: Immediately
Replacement or New Position: Replacement
Full-Time / Part-Time / Temp: Part-time
Closing Date of Posting: Until filled
Send cover letter, resume, and references to:
William Penn University
201 Trueblood Ave
Oskaloosa, IA 52577
Terms of Employment: At will employee
William Penn University is an equal opportunity provider and employer.