Financial Aid Counselor – Staff Position
Position Title: Financial Aid Counselor
Department: Financial Aid
Position Requirements & Preferences:
- Associate degree preferred, but not required
- Accumulation of 4-years education and / or experience demonstrating the knowledge, skills, and abilities specified in this job description
- Good office management/coordination abilities.
- Independent decision making, ability to exercise good judgment, accuracy, flexibility, and well-developed critical thinking skills.
- Ability to work in an environment of shifting priorities, frequent, interruptions, hectic pace, high level of interaction with students, staff, and/or the public.
- Working knowledge of computer software programs which may include Word, Excel, institutional mainframe computer system software, or similar programs.
- Excellent written communication skills including proficiency in business English, grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Ability to handle highly confidential matters and materials with discretion.
- Ability to work independently as well as be a collaborative team player in completing assigned tasks and meeting deadlines.
- Excellent customer service skills including phone and in-person reception etiquette.
- Proficiency with office machines including fax, scanner and copy machine.
WPU strives to create a vibrant learning community for all its members, including students, staff, and faculty. To help foster that community, the Financial Aid Counselor will lead by example and develop others’ leadership capabilities, employ relevant technologies, and actively demonstrate the Quaker virtues of simplicity, peace-making, integrity, community, and equality. Specifically, the Financial Aid Counselor will enter award information in software, mail award packets to students, serve as receptionist for the office and support university processes to achieve educational and economic goals.
- Provide an education with a Leadership and Technology focus, and enliven that provision through adherence to the Quaker principles of simplicity, peace-making, integrity, community, and equality.
- Represents the College in a positive manner with prospective, current, and former students, employees, and the community.
- Demonstrates punctuality, enthusiasm, self-motivation, and a positive attitude in meeting and dealing effectively and courteously with students, other personnel, and all members of the community.
- Interprets departmental and/or college policies and procedures.
- Works harmoniously with others.
- Performs in a manner which benefits student learning.
- This position may require travel.
- This position may require occasional weekend and evening hours.
- Interpret and implement federal, state, and institutional financial aid regulations.
- Provide excellent proof-reading skills, be extremely detail oriented, and have a strong ability to analyze and compare data.
- Assist students who come to the office to complete their on-line entrance, exit, or master promissory note.
- Provide strong counseling skills as you assist students and parents with any financial aid questions.
- Enter financial aid offers, from packaging worksheet, in the financial aid software. Print offer, attach all other paperwork, and take to mailroom same day worksheet is received. Document exceptions.
- Contact a “continuing” student if their financial aid offer is on hold pending their registration.
- Create file folders for new students and keep all filing current daily.
- Gather data, as needed, for reports/surveys and verify for accuracy.
- Remove aid for non-returners/no-shows (including monitoring the Admission withdrawals) and those who do not make SAP from both PowerFAIDS and CAMS.
- Add and delete new students for upcoming year in NSLDS transfer monitoring system.
- Send exits to all students that borrow a Federal Direct Loan at WPU, graduated, dropped below half time, not returning, withdrawing, no show, or failed SAP.
- Perform credit checks on all PLUS loan applications, enter information in PowerFAIDS. Let parent know if PLUS was denied credit check and revise award.
- All completed loan authorization forms are to be received in PowerFAIDS daily.
- Other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Director of Financial Aid
Start Date: Immediately
Replacement or New Position: Replacement
Full-Time / Part-Time / Temp: Full-Time | 30 hours a week
Closing Date of Position: Until Filled
Send cover letter, resume, & references to:
William Penn University
201 Trueblood Avenue
Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577
Terms of Employment: At will employee
William Penn University is an equal opportunity provider and employer.