Residence Hall Director (2 openings)
Date: May 23, 2022
Position: Residence Hall Director (2 openings)
Department: Residence Life
Position Requirements & Preferences:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required
- Experience: Residence Life experience preferred; previous RA or Hall Director experience strongly preferred
- Office management/coordination abilities.
- Independent decision making, ability to exercise good judgment, accuracy, flexibility and well developed critical thinking skills.
- Ability to work in an environment of shifting priorities, frequent, interruptions, hectic pace, high level of interaction with students, staff and/or the public.
- Working knowledge of computer software programs which may include Word, Excel, institutional mainframe computer system software, or similar programs.
- Excellent written communication skills including proficiency in business English, grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Ability to handle highly confidential matters and materials with discretion.
- Ability to work independently as well as be a collaborative team player in completing assigned tasks and meeting deadlines.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Proficiency with office machines including fax, scanner and copy machine.
WPU strives to create a vibrant learning community for all its members, including students, staff, and faculty. To help foster that community, the Residence Hall Director will lead by example and develop others’ leadership capabilities, employ relevant technologies, and actively demonstrate the Quaker virtues of simplicity, peace-making, integrity, community, and equality. Specifically, the Residence Hall Director will ensure the residence hall they are leading provides a safe and welcoming environment for its residents.
- Represents the University in a positive manner with prospective, current, and former students, employees, and the community.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm, self-motivation, and a positive attitude in meeting and dealing effectively and courteously with students, other personnel, and all members of the community.
- Interprets departmental and/or college policies and procedures.
- Works harmoniously with others.
- Performs in a manner which benefits student learning.
- Direct Resident Assistants (RAs) and meet with them as a group bi-weekly, or monthly, depending on need.
- Coordinate monthly room and safety inspections and assess appropriate fines.
- On-campus evenings duties Sunday evening-Thursday evening.
- Coordinate RA schedules for residence hall check-in and check-out.
- Monitor repairs and complete work orders for Campus Support Services.
- Intervene in residence hall crises; counsel students and recommend disciplinary action if necessary.
- Work with Campus Safety for investigations with property damage and discipline issues.
- Post and maintain all student rules and guidelines in each unit and/or floor (i.e. visitation hours, quiet hours, propping doors, etc).
- Assist with Summer Housing and Conferencing activities that include the residence halls.
- Housing occupation limited to only employees and/or spouse/children. NO PETS.
- Maintain a residence hall lifestyle and environment that complies with the standards inherent to the Society of Friends (i.e. no alcohol, overnight guests, etc).
- Understand and enforce Student Handbook, Code of Conduct and Residence Hall policies.
- Assist in selection process for RA positions.
- Attend monthly Hall Director meetings put on by the Residence Life Staff.
- Preview all incident reports to verify completeness.
- Plan one section of RA training performed in August.
- Oversee RA’s in the planning and implementation of at least one residence hall activity per month
- This position may require travel.
- This position may require occasional weekend and evening hours.
- Other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Assistant Director of Residence Life
Start Date: July 1, 2022
Replacement or New Position: Replacement
Closing Date of Posting: Until Filled
Send Cover Letter, Resume, & References to:
William Penn University
201 Trueblood Ave
Oskaloosa, IA 52577
Terms of Employment: At will employee
William Penn University is an equal opportunity provider and employer.