Help Desk Technician – Staff Position
Date: May 25, 2023
Position Title: Help Desk Technician
Department: Information Technology Services
Position Requirements and Preferences
- Education: Associate degree required, Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, or other technical discipline preferred.
- Office management/coordination abilities.
- Independent decision making, ability to exercise good judgement, accuracy, flexibility, and well-developed critical thinking skills.
- Ability to work in an environment of shifting priorities, frequent interruptions, hectic pace, high level of interaction with students, staff and/or the public.
- In-depth technical experience with a variety of personal computers, operating systems, wired and wireless networking and telecommunications equipment.
- Experience with popular smart phones, tablet computers, personal digital assistants, and related devices.
- Flexibility to adjust work schedules to accommodate instructional needs, downtime, system emergencies, and other issues that mandate a change of priorities.
- The desire and ability to keep abreast of changing technologies, to learn and utilize new technologies quickly, and advocate their proper use.
- Excellent written communication skills including proficiency in business English, grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Ability to handle highly confidential matters and materials with discretion.
- Ability to work independently as well as be a collaborative team player in completing assigned tasks and meeting deadlines.
- Excellent customer service skills including phone and in-person reception etiquette.
- Familiarity with a variety of classroom and instructional hardware and software.
- Familiarity with delivery of information services in a higher education environment.
- Proficiency with office machines including fax, scanner and copy machine.
- Ability to periodically lift up to 50 pounds and work in space-constricted environments when necessary.
WPU strives to create a vibrant learning community for all its members, including students, staff, and faculty. To help foster that community, the Help Desk Technician will lead by example and develop others’ leadership capabilities, employ relevant technologies, and actively demonstrate the Quaker virtues of simplicity, peace-making, integrity, community, and equality. Specifically, the Help Desk Technician will provide a wide range of technical support for the university’s computing and information resources. Help Desk Technician may have a primary assignment to support a specific academic or administrative unit, a specific campus, or may be assigned in an at-large technician role to serve the entire university.
- Support William Penn’s students, faculty, staff, and other collaborators by diagnosing, troubleshooting, and resolving technology-related questions and issues posed directly or through the help desk.
- Encouraging and educating users on University approved best practices and proper usage of systems.
- Installing, maintaining, repairing, and update documentation of desktop and laptop computers, networking and telecommunications equipment, and related hardware and software according to University standards.
- Providing support for the acquisition, inventory, configuration, deployment, and surplus/recycling of technology.
- Assisting all other technical and non-technical staff in supporting a mixed-platform environment including Microsoft Windows, Macintosh, Linux, and other UNIX-based computer systems and servers.
- Representing Information Services in meetings and on university committees as directed, and performing other related duties as assigned.
- Provide an education with a Leadership and Technology focus, and enliven that provision through adherence to the Quaker principles of simplicity, peace-making, integrity, community, and equality.
- Represents the College in a positive manner with prospective, current, and former students, employees, and the community.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm, self-motivation, and a positive attitude in meeting and dealing effectively and courteously with students, other personnel, and all members of the community.
- Interprets departmental and/or college policies and procedures.
- Works harmoniously with others.
- Performs in a manner which benefits student learning.
- This position may require travel.
- This position may require occasional weekend and evening hours.
- Other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Information Technology Services Manager
Start Date: Immediately
Replacement or New Position: Replacement
Closing Date of Posting: Until Filled
Application Sent to: Send cover letter, resume, and references:
William Penn University
201 Trueblood Avenue
Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577
Terms of Employment: At will employee
William Penn University is an equal opportunity provider and employer.